Teapot: Semi-hand Bian Jing Lan Yixing Zisha Teapot 扁井栏紫砂茶壶
Maker: Jiang Chunhua
Material: Pure Purple Clay (Plain Clay)
Origin Place: Yixing (宜兴), Jiangsu Province.
Sintering Temperature: 1160℃
Capacity: 320 ml
Dimensions: 16.5 cm * 7.5 cm * 10.5 cm
Bian Jing Lan Yixing Teapot is a kind of Jing Lan Teapot. Just as its name implies, Jing Lan Teapot is inspired from the rail-fence of well, particularly Chinese ancient wells. This teapot is shaped in plain and simple lines, looks artless and honest.
Bian Jing Lan Yixing Teapot is made of pure purple clay, which is also called as plain clay, because it contains few impurity other than other kinds of clay. It is a good material for making Yixing Teapot due to its high stability and proper viscosity, also being easy to control the degree of moisture and dryness as well as the shape of end product.
Jing Lan (井栏, rail-fences of well), as an ancient Chinese tool, is often seen in traditional Chinese literature. Lu Xun wrote in his essay From The Herb To San Wei Book Room about the “smooth stone well fence” which impressed him a lot in his childhood. Ancient Chinese often built a rail-fence when digging a well, and set a well lid or even a small pavilion. These equipments help to protect the well, and can also beautify the surroundings.
Semi-Hand Making of Yixing Teapot
This is the normal manual process of Yixing teapot, not specificly refers to the making of Bian Jing Lan Yixing Zisha Teapot
1. Make appropriate clay pieces for teapot body, bottom and mouth. 2. Pat the lower part of the body piece. 3. Assemble the two pieces of body and bottom. 4. Pat the upper part of the body piece.
5. Mould the body. 6. Shape the body in the mold. 7. Removal from mould. 8. Install the mouth piece.
9. Neaten the body. 10. Mould the spout. 11. Mould the handle. 12. Polish the body.
13. Mould the lid. 14. Shape the lid in the mold. 15. Punch the air hole on the lid. 16. Make the lid buttion.
17. Punch the holes of the spout. 18. Install the spout. 19. Install the handle. 20. The spout and handle must be at the same level as body.
21. Embellish the spout and handle. 22. Modify spout mouth. 23. Modify the dimension of body. 24. Carve the potter’s name the bottom.