You're currently on:
- Home >
- Happy Piggy Yixing Tea Pet
Tea Pet - The Must-have Accessory in Chinese Brewing Method
As its name implies, tea pet is a small mascot that can be “petted” with tea liquid. It is often made of Yixing purple clay.
You can season this happy piggy tea pet when drinking tea. Use the tea brush to wipe tea liquid over the pet, or directly pour left-over liquid onto it. With time goes by, the tea pet will be glossier in appearance. Below is the picture of the two piggy tea pets we have. The left one is new and not seasoned yet; the right one has been nourished for half a year, which is darker yet glossier, feels smoother when touched.
The happy piggy tea pet on the right was seasoned from 2012. Comparing with the brand new piggy, it is darker and brighter. The new tea pet is not glossy, and is covered with small clay particles, looks rougher than the old one. But after a long-term seasoning, you will surely see a big change of the tea pet’s appearance.
Seasoning Tea Pet Is a Gradual Progress
There is an old Chinese saying that soft fire makes sweet malt. It also works on the season of tea pet. Newly made Yixing purple clay productions usually are not smooth. They need to be seasoned. Varying kinds of tea has different effects on the tea pet and tea pot. Pu-erh tea can quicken the speed of season, comparing to green tea. Generally, the season of tea pet is a long-term casual and cozy progress. Keep the habit to leave the rest tea liquid to your tea pet. You can notice its changes after a long time seasoning.
Tips on how to season your tea pet:
1. The liquid that is good for seasoning the pet can be the used water for warming up the cup, the liquid of rinsing the leaves, or the left-over tea liquid from each steep.
2. Evenly wipe or pour the tea liquid over the tea pet. The tea pet will looks dappled if the liquid is poured only on a part of its surface.
3. You can touch the tea pet with bare hands frequently when it’s dry.
4. Use tea brush or tea cloth, or soft writing brush, to wipe the tea pet.
5. If your tea pet is stained or has tea dirt on the surface, you can use salt to gently rub the dirt off.
I bought this... Write a Review
Write a Review
Commonly asked questions
- Q: What is the size of the piggy tea pet? Posted on 4/14/14 by Anna
Reply: The piggy tea pet is 4cm tall, 5cm in width and 6cm in length.